Apply to direct with KDC – pitches open now
With the pandemic now in retreat (sssh, grant me my optimism!) we are now looking to the future, and getting back to physically theatres. We’re looking for pitches for our next couple of seasons, so if you want to direct, read on!
In November we have one week at Lion & Unicorn Theatre in Kentish Town, and one week in Barons Court Theatre. In March next year we will have another 2 weeks in theatres, TBD. We want shows that will fit into one of these small pub theatre venues for a one-week performance, preceded by about 8 weeks of rehearsal, rehearsing around 8-hours-per-week.
What we’re looking for
Fringey or contemporary or classical plays, or devised projects, that can be auditioned in September and presented in November (or auditioned January and presented in March, during Spring Season). Our spec is deliberately open, as we try to keep a varied season, we would aim to do something known (a Shakespeare or classical or contemporary play) and something unknown (new writing or devised or obscure) each season. Please feel free to pitch multiple projects, it allows us more freedom to balance the season and makes more likely we can choose you. We would like to keep a fresh take on anything we do, so if you do pitch something that is very well known (eg Romeo & Juliet) then I would be particularly interested in what will make your production unique.
What we need from you
- A motivated, creative, ambitious director
- A interesting play or project that will be fun & fulfilling for cast & audience
- A production team. I wouldn’t recommend pitching as a lone director – it can get quite lonely at the top. You should bring with you someone that can fill the role of Assistant Director, or Co-Director, or Producer, or Dramaturg, etc. or have a plan to fill a role like that before audition, so that you don’t have to carry the show on your own.
- A frugal and inventive use of budget (we are a charity!)
What we provide
- Audition & rehearsal space (about 8 hours of rehearsal per week for about 8 weeks)
- A week theatre hire to perform
- Marketing on our email list, website, socials, etc. for audition and then later audience.
- £400 show budget for props, costume, logistics etc.
- Rights to show if needed (copyrighted plays need rights, and these are not always available. Another reason why it is a good idea to pitch multiple shows)
- A technician to run the show
- Advice & support from KDC creative team
You don’t need experience per se, but if you have never directed before then you should try to bring some experience on your production team. KDC can & will support you, but we have limited capacity.
If this all sounds like something you’re up for, head on over to our pitch form and send us your ideas!
What happens next
Pitches are open until 30 June 2021 and we will get in touch for director interviews shortly after. (Where possible, we interview everybody who applies.)