KDC is a charitable organisation run by its trustees (who are elected by the members). The trustees sit on and are assisted by a wider organising committee.
2022 – 2023 KDC Committee
Sarah Dobson — Chair
Saskia van ‘t Hoff — Artistic Director
Hugo Wilson — Treasurer
Stephen Reimer — Producer
Helen Dickens – Secretary
Matthew Partridge — Deputy New Writing Coordinator
James Taverner — Publicity
Josie Stephens – Social Secretary
Carl Fletcher and Anna Markland — Executive Officers
In advance of each Annual General Meeting (usually held in July/August of each year), we open nominations for the committee. View the 2023 AGM Notice.
If you would like to discuss joining the committee mid year, click here to contact KDC’s Chair. Unless otherwise specified, we are not looking for any specific skills for open committee positions (although do tell us if you’ve got some skills that match the roles below!), just people with a bit of time to spare and plenty of enthusiasm.
Roles on the committee
- Chair – Organises the people! The guiding light of our merry band
- Artistic Director – Sets the artistic tone of each season, chooses show pitches & artistically what the group should be aiming for, guides and mentors directors
- Treasurer – Manages the accounts for the group, sets the budget for the year
- Producer – Books theatres and manages the relationship with theatre managers, liaising with directors and theatres about production
- Secretary – Keeps minutes for meetings and who-does-what. An organisational whizz, who, with the Chair, ensures KDC is charity commission compliant
- Operations Manager – Keeps us on track with the right people in the right place at the right time
- Company Stage Manager – Supports the Creative Director, Producer and show directors with all they need to stage our wonderful productions
- New Writing Coordinator – Manages the new writing programme, mentoring writers and developing scripts for production
- Publicity – Manages our social presence on Facebook, Instagram & Twitter, and publishes our mailings list to get people excited to create or watch KDC shows. (We sometimes split this role into Social Media and Direct Comms, where a social media whizz manages our social accounts and postings, and our emails are handled by the direct comms officer.)
- Webmaster – Looks after the website, making sure it’s up to date and presents us well, as well as refreshing / rewriting the site occasionally
- Tech Officer – Makes sure all the shows can be seen and heard, and it isn’t just people speaking in the dark
- Social Secretary – Gets people to the pub (Covid permitting), runs the Christmas Quiz and our new annual summer KDC Awards, and reminds casts to hold after-show parties (as if they’d forget…)
- Lock-up Coordinator – Props, costumes, keeper of all the treasures. Organises annual lock-up clear-outs (followed by pub).
- Executive Officer – Let’s say you want to be involved but don’t want a particular fixed role? This is the role for you. We love an ExO.
Joining the committee
Trustees are elected at a General Meeting of KDC, usually the Annual General Meeting (AGM), or may be appointed mid year by the existing trustees. Other roles on the wider organising committee are filled by non-trustees, who are elected at the AGM as a matter of convention, or may be appointed mid year by the trustees.
At the AGM itself, nominees for trustee will be elected to fulfil an ‘officer’ role or another role on the organising committee. There are three named ‘officers’ of KDC who must also be trustees of the charity: Chair, Artistic Director and Treasurer.
You are eligible to stand as a trustee if you are a full member of KDC at the time of the general meeting (see ‘Who is a full member?’ below).
Any questions, contact us!
Who is a full member?
Full details on membership, voting rights and the appointment of trustees can be found in the KDC Constitution.
Any full member can submit a nomination for the KDC committee positions.
To nominate someone for election at the AGM, complete this form prior to the general meeting. The Notice of the general meeting includes the deadline for submissions.
If you want to be nominated for a committee position and you’ve been involved in KDC in the last year, your friendly KDC Secretary can help you with that. Click here to drop her a line.
Click this link to read the Notice of the KDC AGM 2023.