Final preparations, last-minute murders, deadline-driven duels, and eleventh hour incest, all happening now to prepare for your entertainment/disgust next week! Tickets available to purchase right at this very moment, don’t delay book today!
Come meet the directors and the whole team, it’s our Autumn Season Launch this Thursday at the Hoop & Grapes pub in Farringdon! Join us from 7pm and grab yourself a beer, you can hear all about our little merry band and both directors for the season will be talking about their new shows. You can quiz them about the upcoming auditions, what they wanna see, and find out how you can get involved. All welcome, map below. We’ll be on the first floor!
Our shows for this Autumn:
‘Tis Pity She’s a Whore
by John Ford
Directed by Nick Mouton
adapted by Nelson Bond from the book by George Orwell
Directed by Saskia van ‘t Hoff
7pm, Thursday 12th September at the Hoop & Grapes pub in Farringdon Street
KDC Theatre – Notice of Meeting
NOTICE IS HEREBY GIVEN that a Special General Meeting of KDC Theatre will be held at the Hoop & Grapes, 80 Farringdon Street, London at 7.30pm on Thursday 13 September 2018 to transact the following business:
1. Alteration to the Constitution
To consider and vote upon the following resolution.
That clause 3(1) of the KDC Constitution be amended to read “to advance the arts for the public benefit, in particular by the production and presentation of amateur theatre performances in Greater London.”
That clause 3(2) of the KDC Constitution be removed.
2. Members proposed resolutions
Details will be given once proposed resolutions are received. Proposed resolutions should be submitted via our contact form by noon on 30 August 2018. A revised agenda will be issued by 6 September 2018.
3. Any other business
To deal with any matters raised at the meeting.
4. Season Launch
Formally close the meeting and move to the Season Launch, detailing plans for our two performance weeks in November.
By order of the Board of charity trustees
13 August 2018
This Autumn KDC is seeking three directors to perform in two weeks in November. We are inviting pitches for productions that you, as a director, are longing to stage. We are also seeking directors for two very dark and very different one act plays, which are being brought together for the first time.
She takes place over 1 night in a restaurant, 3 stories, different perspectives, all leading to this one moment; a simple action with violent consequences.
Stiff invites the audience to see the other side of death, set in a mortuary; how will the night shift cope when confronted with a familiar face?
We want to know what will make your production special. You can pitch for as many productions as you like and, if you can’t make the dates of this season, we would love to know what you would have pitched. After all, spring is only round the corner…
Key dates for directors
13 Sep 2018 – Season Launch Event – Hoop & Grapes, Farringdon
17-19 Sep 2018 – Auditions – Theatre Delicatessen – Deli Studios
22 Sep 2018 – Recalls – Theatre Delicatessen – Deli Studios
24 Sep 2018 – Rehearsals Mon/Wed/Sun – Various locations
6-10 Nov 2018 – She/Stiff – White Bear Theatre, Kennington
27 Nov – 1 Dec 2018 – Production Week 2 – Barons Court Theatre
Process for pitching
1. Pitches open Thurs 26 July 2018
Prospective directors to register interest by completing this contact form by Mon 6 Aug. The scripts for the two one act plays will be forwarded in response
2. Complete questionnaire By Mon 6 Aug 2018
Prospective directors to complete KDC pitch questionnaire (see full list of questions below)
3. Interviews Mon 30 July – Tue 14 Aug 2018
Prospective directors will meet with Steph, Artistic Director and Sarah, Chair. Steph will be in touch to arrange the meeting once contact form is received
4. Decision Mid-August 2018
Autumn productions and directors confirmed
For information – the full set of questions are listed below, in case you would like to prepare your answers in advance of completing online.
2. Email address
3. Dates pitching for:
a) 6 – 10 November 2018 at White Bear (directing ‘Stiff’ or ‘She’)
b) 27 November – 1 December 2018 at Barons Court Theatre (directing my own choice of play)
4. Name of the play are pitching to direct?
5. * Author
6. * Date of first publication? (This can be found on the information page at the front of the published script)
7. * What is it about – please give a brief description of the plot of the play?
8. How would you characterise the genre?
9. What do you like about this play?
10. How do you plan to present the play?
11. Why would your production be great for KDC members to get involved in?
12. What experience do you have of working with/managing groups of people? This can include theatre/directing experience or experience from another area of your life.
13. * What is the approximate running time of play? Will you have an interval?
14. Number of actors needed/sought?
15. *What is the likely male/female split of your cast?
16. Do you plan to work with an assistant director or producer? If so, do you have someone in mind?
17. * If your pitch is successful, we will apply for any performance rights needed. However, sometimes the rights for plays are unavailable. To avoid disappointment, we invite directors to consider a rights free production, which could act as a back-up if their first choice isn’t available. If you would like to submit a full proposal for another play, you can complete this form again for a different play. If you already have other plays in mind and would like to let us know what they are, you can include them here.
Is there anything else you want to tell us?
18. Do you have any questions?
Hope you can make it to the Hoop & Grapes, Farringdon Street, for the AGM. The agenda:
- Differences with previous AGMs
- Election of Trustees
- Proposed amendments to the constitution:
- Amending Membership rule at s(8)(1)(c): “… are not payable.” to “… are not payable; or“
- Addition of Membership rule at s(8)(1)(d): “by having been appointed by the trustees to assist in the running of the charity, in a specified role, without joining as a trustee.”
- Proposed bye-laws
- Setting of subs
- Setting of ticket prices
- Permitting electronic record keeping
- Appointment of any other Trustees
- Appointment of non-trustees to specified roles to assist in the running of the charity
- Artistic Director plans for 2018/2019
- Treasurer report and accounts for 2017/2018
KDC is recruiting! It’s AGM time again and we’re looking to grow our merry band – theatre with KDC happens because of all the awesome people who are involved in the shows, but also because a much smaller band in the committee are pulling the strings throughout the year to make those shows happen at all. We need some enthusiastic people to join up! The committee chooses shows, theatre venues, socials, runs the publicity, social feeds, manages the website, finances, decides group direction, there are lots of things to get your teeth stuck into if you would like to. And you get to see all our lovely faces at least once a month!
The existing committee is staying on, but we’re limited in number, and we want fresh blood to come drive things, new ideas, new perspectives. You don’t need to have experience, just enthusiasm and a little bit of time every now and then. You can run for a named role, or just join as a non-exec member and pick up whatever you fancy. Your Theatre Needs You!
Hoop & Grapes, 7.30pm Thursday 26 July 2018
We look forward to seeing you for our first Annual General Meeting as a Charity. Join us for a drink or two and meet up with old and new friends.
We need to appoint our trustees for 2018-2019, so if you want to get more involved in KDC, now is your chance. No specific skills required, just a bit of spare time and plenty of enthusiasm.
Whether it’s organising a social, scheduling rehearsals, balancing the books or being the voice of KDC on social media, we’d love to have you help out. A little or a lot, we don’t mind, and you can still help out without having to become a trustee.
We’ll be covering plans for the forthcoming year, and taking on ideas – so if you have a burning issue, or a fantastic idea for us to use, come along and let us know.
We look forward to seeing you there.
After a lot of tough auditions, well done to the cast of Future Imperfect: